It’s the most wonderful week of the year! It’s Discovery Channel’s Shark Week airing August 9-16. This mostly TV based holiday is a great way to learn, celebrate and watch specials that explore the deadly-but-misunderstood creatures. I know we are still stuck in quarantine and watching TV seems to be all we are doing. Here’s some ideas to make it special for your family.
1. Decorate your home with sharks. This year I gathered all my shark stuffed animals and decor. I made my living room into a perfect comfy place to watch all the shark specials.
2. Make shark themed food and drinks. This year we have goals to make shark themed food and drinks. This doesn’t have to be expensive or lavish. We bought gummy sharks, small plastic sharks and tooth pick with shark fins on them to include in our foods. Because it’s quite a different year we wanted to just make the little things a special one.
3. Order some shark themed swag. Amazon has got some incredible deals on shark themed swag. We definitely have some great things coming to have a jawsome time! But if you want to amp it up a bit look for shark and oceans conservation pages and buy from them. Your money would go to a great cause.
4. Do shark craft projects. Next week my 9 year old and I plan to do crafts projects every day from home based on sharks and oceans. I did a quick Pinterest search and found many quick and easy projects we can do around the house.
5. Learn how you can help sharks and other ocean life. Get to your Google and start researching how you can help sharks and wildlife. I know right now we can’t get out and do beach clean ups. But there are a ton of different things you and your household can do to have some positive impact on ocean life.
6. Order a shark book that educates about sharks. This year I got my girls Shark Lady: The Daring Tale of How Eugenie Clark Dove into History by Jess Keatin. I’m always excited to show my girls a strong woman making a difference books.
7. Be a hammerhead and nail it! Each year we do our nails in a shark themed manicure and pedicure. There are so many ideas on Pinterest even the not so skilled nail artist can do a fun theme to carry the week of shark week on them everyday.
8. Become a shark! Most phones have apps that let you let your inner shark out! Our family favorite is Hungry Shark World, it’s on all our phones.
9. Talk to your devices about sharks. Did you know Google and Alexa are full of shark jokes and facts? Well now you know and you will be one smart shark. On Google just say “hey Google open shark week” and on Alexa say “Hey Alexa talk shark week.” Then Bob the shark will come in to entertain you for hours!
10. Grownups may want to partake in a Shark Week drinking game. If you want to live it up during quarantine and have nothing better to do get your shark drinking on… I simply Googled shark drinking games and there is a ton. Have fun be safe.